2nd year St. Clair College guard Shannon Kennedy (Windsor, ON/St. Joseph) was a big winner this morning at the OCAA Women’s Basketball Championship Banquet hosted at the Radisson Hotel Toronto East. In addition to being named the West Region Scoring Champion and a 1st Team All-Star selection she took home top honours as the OCAA Player of the Year and CCAA All-Canadian selection.
Kennedy (Windsor, ON/St. Joseph) becomes the 5th Women’s Basketball Player in St. Clair history to achieve All-Canadian status following Kim Pawluk (2004-2005), Raquel Burke (2003-2004), Tina Sirka (2001-2002) and Brenda Mullins (1983-1984). Kennedy led the province in total points scored this past season and averaged 19.3 points per contest (2nd OCAA) while making 43.1% from beyond the 3-point arc. She also ranked top 10 in the OCAA with 8.1 rebounds per game while contributing defensively with 2.7 steals per game.
Some additional statistics/accolades are contained below on Kennedy’s fine season.
• 2014-2015 OCAA Player of the Year
• 2014-2014 CCAA All-Canadian Selection
• 2014-2015 West Region 1st Team All-Star
• Scored 39 Points at Redeemer Nov. 14th including seven 3-point makes (School record)
• OCAA Women’s Basketball Athlete of the Week (November 18, 2014)
• OCAA Leading Scorer (348 Total Points)
• 2nd in OCAA Scoring Average 19.3 PPG
• OCAA Leader in 3-point Shooting % & Makes (56-130, 43.1%)
• OCAA 6th in Total Rebounds (146) & Tied for 9th at 8.1 RPG
• OCAA Tied for 8th at 2.7 steals per game (7th Overall in total steals with 48)
• OCAA Tied for 4th in Total Blocked Shots and per game (1.2 blocks per game, 22 total)
• Averaged 33.3 minutes per game
In addition, 1st year St. Clair post player Torrie Handsor (Wallaceburg, ON) was named to the West Region All-Rookie team. Handsor was 2nd on her team in rebounding (6.4 per game) and 4th on her team in scoring at 6.7 points per game while supplying a consistent presence on the block for the Saints.
The Saints (13-6) will put their 6-game winning streak up against 4-time defending OCAA Champion Algonquin (15-1) to open their OCAA Provincial Championship tournament hosted by Centennial College in Scarborough later today with tip time set for 3:00pm.
See below the entire OCAA Championship schedule.
Day 1 - March 5th
1pm – Game #1: Niagara (5th West, 12-7) vs. Humber (1st West, 17-1)
3pm – Game #2: St. Clair (3rd West, 13-6) vs. Algonquin (2nd East, 15-1)
6pm – Game #3: Centennial (3rd East, 11-5) vs. Mohawk (2nd West, 16-2)
8pm – Game #4: Fanshawe (4th West, 13-6) vs. St. Lawrence K (1st East, 15-1)
Day 2 - March 6th
1pm – Game #5: Loser Game#1 vs. Loser Game#2
3pm – Game #6: Loser Game#3 vs. Loser Game#4
6pm – Game #7: Winner Game#1 vs. Winner Game#2
8pm – Game #8: Winner Game#3 vs. Winner Game#4
Day 3 - March 7th
10am – Game #9: Loser Game#7 vs. Winner Game#6
12pm – Game #10: Loser Game#8 vs. Winner Game#5
5pm – Bronze: Winner Game#9 vs. Winner Game#10
7pm – Gold: Winner Game#7 vs. Winner Game#8
Tournament information and results along with web streaming links can be followed at the following locations: